Secure a 5 on your AP Exams!

AP exams will be administered starting in May. Be prepared with general information about the exams, study resources, and day-of tips. 

What are the AP exams?

“AP Exams are standardized exams designed to measure how well you’ve mastered the content and skills of a specific AP course.” (From AP College Board website)

These exams are administered by the College Board, and you’re automatically registered for one if enrolled in an AP course. Depending on the course, exams are 2-3 hours long, divided into timed portions. These sections may include multiple-choice, free response, document-based questions, long essay questions, and verbal responses. 

This school year, AP exams will return to their normal administration at school on paper-and-pencil. Check your AP Exam Dates on the AP Central website. 

For directions on how to send AP scores to colleges, visit the Sending AP Scores website.

AP exam scores will be released in July 2022 and can be viewed on personal College Board accounts.

Day-of-exam tips and tricks:

Apart from the helpful (but admittedly overused) tips of sleeping earlier and eating a good breakfast, there are more specific tips and tricks to being exam ready.

• Many students will think they need more energy and decide to take caffeine. Do not take any caffeine if you usually don’t, this may affect how you feel during your test. Instead, drink plenty of water and bring some to your testing location (if allowed). 
  • You may feel nervous, especially if this is your first exam or one of your harder subjects. This is normal! Moderate feelings of anxiety actually provide energy to improve performance and stimulate action.
  • The best way to go about your test preparation is to go about your usual routine. This creates a controlled and stable environment within your body.

Study, study, study:

• Doing a little review every day is way better than cramming everything the night before! Some students decide to not even look at their notes the night before an exam and prefer to get a good night’s sleep instead. That being said, create a monthly/weekly/daily study schedule. Prioritizing is important, so focus on the areas in which you need improvement and just quickly review what you feel confident in.
  • Learn the study and learning method that works best for you. There are many websites you can use to find what learning style is best for you.

[ARTICLE] 4 Types of Learning Styles: How Do Students Learn Best?

[20 QUESTION QUIZ] What’s Your Learning Style?

[QUESTIONNAIRE] The VARK Questionnaire

• Answer every question even if you don’t know, make an educated guess. AP exams do not deduct points for wrong or blank answers, so you should try to answer all the questions. You will probably have an idea of which answer is right through the process of elimination.
  • Finally, use the myriad of study resources and guides available through your teacher, websites, and YouTube.

For study resources for all AP courses directly from the College Board AP Central, visit the AP Courses and Exams page.

Study and practice resources for a variety of AP classes: 

Marco Learning

Fiveable

Khan Academy

Hippo Campus

The Princeton Review

Nick the Tutor

AP Social Studies:

Heimler History has videos on the content and structure of the AP World History, AP U.S. History, and AP Government exams.

Ms. Sinn has reviews of the AP Human Geography units.

Anti Social Studies channel has content reviews for AP World History, AP U.S. History, and AP European History.

AP Math:

Krista King Math has videos reviewing AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC.

AP English:

Coach Hall Writes reviews the content and structure of the AP English Language and AP Literature exams.

AP Sciences:

Bozeman Science reviews many of the AP sciences and The Organic Chemistry Tutor is good for grasping basic topics or doing quick reviews since the channel is not specific to AP science classes.

Try your best and good luck, Bulldogs!