Selecting Courses for the 2022-2023 School Year!

With course recommendations submitted by teachers and now visible to students via StudentVUE, the time for students to select their classes for the 2022-2023 school year is quickly approaching. There is a wide variety of courses offered here at Hylton, and several are listed below. Standard and Advanced Diplomas as well as Specialty program requirements have been conveniently laid out. 

Standard vs. Advanced Diploma

As outlined above, a standard diploma requires 22 credits (six of which must be verified). Slightly different, the advanced diploma looks for 26 credits (nine of which must be verified). All students must complete four years of English, two in physical and drivers education, and an economics and personal finance class. In the standard diploma, two of the six electives must be consecutive. What does this mean? You must take 2 sequential electives (for example Spanish 1 and 2, or Principles of Business and Marketing and International Business). Another of the six elective credits is supposed to be Career and Technical Education or Fine Arts. Apart from students’ typical classes, they are required to complete First Aid and CPR training (usually done in their P.E. classes) as well as the Workplace Readiness Test (completed in C.T.E. classes). 

As many Bulldogs know, Hylton is home to several of Prince William County’s high school specialty programs. These include the Center for International Studies and Languages (CISL), Television Production, Cabinet-Making, and Auto-Technology. 

All transfer students participating in specialty programs must meet their programs’ requirements each year!

Center for International Studies and Languages

The Center for International Studies and Languages is an interdisciplinary program that places an emphasis on world language and social and political sciences. Students may choose to focus on world language or social and political science concentrations. 

In addition to required courses, students are expected to obtain a minimum of 10 points each year of high school. Following academic advising with CISL last week, the levels of program participation were outlined. With any personal questions in regards to the CISL program, please set up an appointment with Mrs. Terenchin at [email protected] 

Television Production

Another popular specialty program at Hylton is Television Production. This is a great program for students who are looking for a program with extensive future career opportunities. 

Beginning in students junior year, TV Production takes up two class periods. Most known to us, Junior TV Production students produce the morning news shows. Other grades work on learning how to plan, film, and then edit their work in skits and eventually longer films. 

Auto Technology and Cabinet Making

Auto-Technology and Cabinet-Making Programs have limited information available on their websites. 

For Auto-Technology, students must hold a B or higher in Auto-Tech 1, 2, and 3. You begin classes in 10th grade, and in 11th and 12th Auto Technology classes will take up two class periods. It is also important to maintain a B or higher in English and Math.

Closing Remarks

If you are interested in learning more about the courses offered at Hylton or the ones your teachers recommended you for, ask your friends and read over the course catalog!