Poor Living Conditions on Campus?

Poor Living Conditions

Students at Howard University began protesting their living conditions on campus following the discovery of mold within the walls, lack of COVID-19 testing for students, and safety on campus, as described by DCist and WAMU

Living conditions have always been a concern for campuses across the country. Starting in 2016, an Instagram account emerged under the handle @.hotmess. This Instagram account posts the poor conditions on the campus of Georgetown University. The pictures that litter the account feature clogged water fountains, spoiled milk, water leaks, mold, broken faucets, etc. The Instagram account is very much alive, with posts still being made today.

@georgetown.hotmess – Picture was taken at Kennedy Hall at Georgetown University

Countless numbers of people make complaints across the nation about the condition of their campus. For the University of Maryland, even off-campus options have been known to be in poor condition

It is extremely important to do extensive research about a school’s campus before committing to the school. Tour the campus when applicable, join online forums, try to speak to people that go there. But most importantly, understand that students have a role to play in this too. Make sure to not leave food behind, clean up after yourself, etc. 

Cockroaches?

Cockroaches are a big scare in campus life. As soon as you see possible signs of a roach infestation, clean. Roaches are attracted to clutter and food, so seal all foods, clean up any messes, and also instruct floormates to do the same. You can tell an RA if this is a serious concern, but some students have been instructed to “just kill ‘em.”

Moving forward

Always talk to your RA, or someone who manages the dorm, about your concerns. Establish a good relationship with them as regulations change from college to college. Make sure to do research about where you might be staying to decide if the place is “liveable” by your standards.