Required COVID-19 Vaccinations for Student-Athletes

Neighboring counties have announced required COVID-19 immunizations for student-athletes, while Prince William County voted for proof of COVID-19 immunization for all staff.

Photo via www.fox5dc.com

Student-Athletes

Fairfax county announced that student-athletes who want to participate in their sport, need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by November 8. Suffolk and Loudoun County announced the same plan being implemented in the first weeks of November.

Fairfax County decision comes with the support of dozens of student-athlete-related organizations such as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.

As of mid-September, Prince William County has made no comment on whether they would also implement the COVID-19 vaccine mandate for student-athletes that has become a pattern in the Northern Virginia area. The Prince William county mask guidance, updated on August 13, outlines guides for physical activity. For spectators, masks are not required at outdoor sporting events, like last Friday’s victorious home football game against Briar Woods.

Graphic via https://www.pwcs.edu/

Staff

Despite Wednesday’s school board meeting being interrupted, the board was still able to unanimously vote to require staff to be vaccinated or undergo weekly COVID-19 tests. Similarly, Fairfax county and others in the area made this decision in late summer.

As of mid-September 2021, PWCS has recorded a total of 280 cases of COVID-19 in both staff and students