Local scholarships to apply for

With college decision day (May 1) approaching, it’s a great time to start applying to some scholarships….

After all the hurdles of the college application process – collecting recommendation letters, submitting your transcripts, writing dozens of essays – there is still one left: paying. While some students get great financial aid offers that cover their entire tuition, that’s not the case for most people, and figuring out how to fill the gaps aid doesn’t cover can be hard. But don’t worry! There are hundreds of local scholarship programs willing to help college and trade school-bound students pay for their education.

Here are some local scholarships with upcoming deadlines:

• Alma Palmer Memorial Grant – Due May 1, 2021

The Alma Palmer Memorial Grant is a $3,500 renewable scholarship ($14,000 in total over four years) for graduating high school seniors planning to attend a Historically Black College or University (HBCU.) To apply, you must have a GPA of at least 2.5, submit a recent transcript, acquire two letters of recommendation, and write a 350-word essay on “the importance of HBCUs in providing access to quality educational opportunities and discuss how attending an HBCU will contribute to your future success.” The scholarship application can be found here: Alma Palmer Memorial Grant Application.

• Rush Order Tees Young Entrepreneur Scholarship – Due May 1, 2021

The Rush Order Tees Young Entrepreneur Scholarship is a $5,000 scholarship for graduating high school seniors and undergraduate students with a passion for entrepreneurship. To apply, you have to submit an essay on “why you’re interested in entrepreneurship and how you believe you can contribute to our society through your entrepreneurial vision.” The scholarship application can be found here: Rush Order Tees Young Entrepreneur Scholarship Application.

• Ira Dorsey Memorial Scholarship – Due May 1, 2021

The Ira Dorsey Memorial Scholarship is a scholarship worth up to $2,000 for male graduating high school seniors who have a minimum 2.5 GPA. To apply, you must submit an application form, official or unofficial transcript, two letters of recommendation, a headshot, an essay based on a quote by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, and financial information from your FAFSA form. The scholarship application can be found here: Ira Dorsey Memorial Scholarship Application.

• Elevate Mental Health Awareness Scholarship – Due May 31, 2021

The Elevate Mental Health Awareness Scholarship is a $500 scholarship awarded to graduating high school seniors who have “personally experienced challenges with mental health or have had people close to them who have experienced mental health challenges.” To apply, you must write an essay on how your experience with mental health has “influenced their beliefs, relationships, and career aspirations.” The scholarship application can be found here: Elevate Mental Health Awareness Scholarship Application. 

• Educational and Charitable Foundation STEM Scholarship – Due May 1, 2021

The Educational and Charitable Foundation STEM Scholarship is a $3,100 scholarship for a graduating high school senior with a 2.5 minimum GPA. To apply, you must submit an official transcript, two letters of recommendation, and a 300-350 word essay on “how your studies in a STEM field will enable you to make significant contributions to the community and/or provide educational advancements in the future.” The scholarship application can be found here: Educational and Charitable Foundation STEM Scholarship.