School day to start earlier within next two weeks

A new, earlier, bell schedule is coming to Hylton… But so are earlier release times!

Starting Feb. 23 the bell schedule of all high schools in Prince William County will change to push the start of the school day from 7:30 am to 8:30 am for all high school students both in-person and virtual. School will also be ending earlier for high school students due to this change, with students at C.D. Hylton High School being released at 1:40 pm instead of 2:40 pm.

This change comes in the wake of fourth, fifth, sixth, and ninth graders who have opted in to do so returning to school in-person on Feb. 25, and teachers returning on Feb. 22. The change is being done to accommodate the bus schedules that were previously instated before the coronavirus pandemic.

“On February 23, all high schools begin around 7:30 a.m., middle schools around 8:15 a.m., and elementary schools around 9 a.m,” states a press release from Prince William County Schools.

Although this change will likely anger students who have been sleeping in later since September, it is not set in stone. On Feb. 17, the school board is set to discuss the “feasibility” of the Feb. 23 start time for the new bell schedule during their meeting – a decision that could be affected by the possibility of the school board deciding to push back the return dates for the middle and high school students set to return due to new coronavirus variants and lack of vaccinations.

“The Board further directed that information regarding the feasibility of these new dates be provided by the Superintendent at its February 17, 2021, Board Meeting,” states a press release from Prince William County Schools.

While only ninth graders are returning to Hylton for now, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade is not far behind. If things go according to plan, the rest of Hylton’s student body who opt-in to do so will be returning in-person on Mar. 2. Returning to school in-person will remain a choice for students, and those who do not wish to can remain participating in virtual learning.

For more information regarding bell schedules and in-person/virtual learning procedures, visit pwcs.edu.