Great college scholarships to apply to

College application season is over, but scholarship application season has begun. Here are some of the easiest scholarships to apply to.

With college application season coming to a close, another equally important season has begun: scholarship season. This season, which is often overlooked in favor of applying to college, can often make or break a student’s ability to have the financial means to attend the college of their dreams. With that in mind, it is important to be organized and prepared, as well as consistently applying to scholarships (no matter how big the award amount.)

Some may think that they have no chance of winning any scholarships because of low GPAs, standardized test scores, or lack of community service/work experience/extracurriculars. This is far from the truth. There are scholarships for everyone and everything – even students who feel that their grades are not up to par.

To get the scholarship season started off right, here are a few ones to apply to:

• Elizabeth Bowen Memorial Scholarship

The Elizabeth Bowen Memorial Scholarship was created in honor of Elizabeth Bowen, who was a librarian in Prince William County Schools for seventeen years, as well as her service to the community. To be eligible for the $1,000 scholarship, you have to be a senior in a Prince William, Manassas City, or Manassas Park high school with a GPA of at least 2.0. Applicants must be planning to attend a 2 or 4-year college (any major is welcome), and get a letter of recommendation from a teacher, and write a 1-page essay. The scholarship is due on Mar. 1, and more information can be found here: Elizabeth Bowen Memorial Scholarship application.

• VHSL Scholarships

The Virginia High School League offers 3 scholarships throughout the year to students (mostly seniors), ranging from $500-$1,500. The scholarships are for a variety of things, whether that be journalism/yearbook, citizenship, or athletics. Requirements and due dates for each scholarship differ. More information can be found here: VHSL Scholarship applications. 

• AFCEA DC STEM Scholarship

The AFCEA DC STEM Scholarship is specifically for seniors and community college transfers residing in the D.C. metro area who are planning to pursue a STEM major (mathematics, sciences, technology, cybersecurity, engineering, information systems, etc.) To apply, you must submit 2 letters of recommendation, a copy of the FAFSA, transcripts, and more. The application is due on Feb. 25, 2021, at midnight. More information can be found here: AFCEA DC STEM Scholarship application.  

• Lockheed Martin Vocational Scholarships

The Lockheed Martin Vocational Scholarship aids students in funding their college education and gaining hands-on experience in the workforce. Students who apply must be pursuing an associate’s degree, credit-bearing certificate, or an industry-recognized credential in specific STEM-related majors. The deadline to apply is Mar. 11, 2021. More information can be found here: Lockheed Martin Vocational Scholarships application.