First School Board Meeting of 2021 for Third and Fourth Quarter Grades 4-12 to Return After Spring Break

Superintendent Steve Walts proposed an April return to school scheduled for after Spring break. Although grades up to 3 have returned to school and are on schedule to return as planned, Walts proposed revised hybrid start dates for grades 4-12. The plan has grades 4, 5, 6, and 9 starting hybrid school on April 20 and 21. And grades 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12 on April 27 and 28. Walts’ plan would take effect after the beginning of the fourth quarter which is April 6.

The revised plan is subject to change and the school board scheduled a special meeting on Tuesday, January 12 at 5:30pm to vote on the matter.

School board passed a resolution asking Governor Ralph Northam to prioritize vaccinations for teachers and other school employees.

Prince William County has a 21% positivity rate for COVID-19 and it is the only county in the area who is returning students in person.

An argument against opening schools at all was that the hybrid models would increase screen time for students staying completely virtual, decreasing sleep time, and completely get rid of after school hours and after school buses.

The Prince William County School board is responsible for 90,000+ students and staff. Between December 15 and January 5, 148 students and 118 staff tested positive for COVID-19.

Information Courtesy of: Bristow Beat, InsideNOVA, and Prince William Times