Tips on How to Prevent Distractions While Doing School Work, And Online Class

In today’s world, where there is a global pandemic, students in Prince Willaim County now have to complete their school assignments at home, and with that change comes with some problems, one of those problems being distractions during classtime and when students are doing schoolwork.

In classrooms, there are usually rules that prohibit the use of objects such as toys and electronic devices during class as to not disturb everyone in the classroom, but in today’s new method of teaching, it is much easier for a student to get distracted during a lesson because a person’s home may contain more objects that can get a students attention. It also does not help that a student can simply turn off the camera on their device during an online class, and do something else such as playing video games, being on social media, or any other activity. Also, a student may simply be uninterested in the topic that either their teacher is talking about, or the topic of the work that they are assigned.

However, there are some tips on how to prevent, and/or decrease these distractions, as well as some tips on increasing one’s attention span, (please note that no one writing this article is a medical professional, and these tips may not work for everyone):

• Turn off all notifications from your electronic devices such as phones, tablets, and smartwatches
  • Put away objects that may grab your attention
  • Try getting more sleep
  • Relax your mind when you are stressed or tired, such as taking breaks now and then
  • An article from Harvard Health Publishing says that if you are sleepy during the day, and cannot get enough sleep at night, then attempt to take a short nap during the day, however, try to avoid taking any naps after 5:00 PM as it can interfere with sleep during the night
  • Try to get 8-10 hours of sleep each night
  • The website wikiHow recommends that a person listens to classical music without lyrics as it may strangely help you out on focusing your assignments, also wikiHow suggests that a person listens to a podcast that they (the person) enjoy
  • wikiHow also suggests that a person learns to manage their stress by talking with other people, removing habits that may trigger stress, and avoiding people that may also cause any stress toward youi

Holly K. Banner, or Mrs. Holly as she is more known as, and a counselor from CD. Hylton Highschool also has a few tips on how to manage distractions during virtual class, and off of it, such as:

• Attempt to keep your webcam/front-facing camera on during class, as it can help you engage in the topic that is being discussed.
  • Send questions to your teacher, or write down notes during the lesson so that you are more engaged, and can get better understanding of the topic that is being discussed.
  • Try organinzing the work and responsibilities that you have by setting up a schedule for what should be done first, and what should be done later.