How Online Schooling has Affected Students with Jobs

This new online school schedule has students feeling many ways. Especially for students with jobs.

Photo%3A+zoranm%2FiStockphoto

Photo: zoranm/iStockphoto

In March, Prince William County Public Schools students were sent home due to the threat of COVID-19. Now, in September, students are still at home and participating in virtual learning. Kids and teenagers of all grades all had to resort to online to continue the rest of their school year.  Now that the new school year has started back up, Zoom and Canvas have been the only tab that has been open on student’s browsers since then. How has it impacted students who work or volunteer? 

For some students, it has not affected them at all. While talking about Online Schooling with Ashton Van Horn, a senior from Hylton High School, had to say, “It is been positive so far… I have videos to look at for math.” Ashton helps his mother at a daycare and he said that it has not changed his schedule at all. 

For some students, it has affected them positively! Nathan Poland, a senior who also goes to Hylton High School, when asked if the online schooling had affected him, he said, “Like for work, no. It is actually been more of a positive impact. I am able to work more hours.” “Now I work a little bit later in the day, but it is only a two-hour difference.” For people like Nathan, he did not see any problem with changing his work schedule for it to fit in with his school hours. Ashton Bulmer, a senior from James Irwin Charter High School in Colorado, had to say he did not have to worry about going to the school building then immediately heading to work. He said he had to change his work schedule for only the days he goes to school. 

For most students, it has affected them negatively. An anonymous student when asked if the online schooling had taken them by surprise, said, “I honestly thought I was going to get fired.” “I had to shorten my hours so much.” I had also asked if the conflict was resolved, they said, “I mean, it’s good now, it is just the person I am working with has to work a little bit more. He is already out of school.” At their school, they do not have pre-recorded zoom sessions for anybody who misses class. Therefore, they have to be there in the zoom meeting. Frankie Edwards, a Junior at Hylton High School, said it had also affected him negatively. When asked how so, he said, “I can not work the hours I normally work. I have to work from four to six.” I had asked him if it would be easier to go to the school building than go online and he said yes. 

Andrew Nelson, a senior from Hylton High School, had said when I asked him how it impacted on him, he said, “Negatively, I can not work as much.” “They work around my schedule but I can not get as much money as I did over the summer.” He then proceeded to talk about how he needed some money for him to take care of his car. One student named Haven Dawkins, a senior at Hylton High School, had to quit her job completely! “I tried to talk to my manager about changing my schedule but any solutions we came up with did not seem to work. If I could work, it would have to be after two but I can not work a closing shift because it would be after midnight, closer to 1 AM.” I then asked if she was going to work from the pre-recorded zoom sessions, and she said that none of her teachers had put out the recordings just yet. Right now, she is currently looking for a job that can let her be able to still turn her schoolwork and keep her grades up.

There has been a lot of mixed feelings about how online schooling has affected the students who have been hardworking, in and out of school. There are definitely more students who are going through the same thing just like all these people who’ve spoken out. Hopefully, someday we can all go back to school, see our friends, and the pressure of school can be lightened a little. We may never know when that day will be, sadly. For now, it’s going to take a lot of our strength to get through this time.