School Board Adopts Return To Learn Plan For 2020-21 School Year

PWCS will be entirely virtual for the first quarter, with exceptions for students in special groups.

This story is a republishing of a press release from Prince William County Schools

The Prince William County School Board unanimously (8-0) adopted a Return to Learning Plan that will have the first quarter of the school year as all virtual learning for most students. The first quarter will start for students on September 8, 2020, ending October 30, 2020. The goal will be to transition to a 50% capacity model in the second quarter, with the option for students to remain virtual.

Under the plan, Prince William County Schools (PWCS) will consider offering in-person services to special education students as determined appropriate by their IEP teams, and to the most vulnerable English Language Learners and students with interrupted learning, as determined to be instructionally appropriate and feasible.

Official Resolution:

That, in order to reopen schools this fall, while protecting the health, safety, and well-being of students and staff, the Prince William County School Board

1. reopen schools for the 2020-2021 school year on September 8, 2020, with a 100 percent distance learning model for the first quarter. The Division will consider offering in-person services to special education students as determined appropriate by their IEP teams, and to the most vulnerable English Language Learners and students with interrupted learning, as determined to be instructionally appropriate and feasible. It is the goal of the Division to transition to a 50 percent Capacity In-Person and Distance Learning Model for the second quarter, with the option for students to remain virtual while maintaining flexibility throughout to adapt to public health guidelines as needed, and
  2. to adopt the proposed Return to Work and Health Plans, modified as needed to adapt to the Return to Learning Plan and public health guidelines, and
  3. to authorize the Superintendent to implement any additional mitigation measures as appropriate to accommodate these models.