Hylton Model United Nations Club Goes to William & Mary University Conference

William and Mary is the club’s first conference for the school year.

For the first time in a number of years, Hylton’s Model United Nations Club (MUN) attended William & Mary University’s High School MUN Conference from Nov. 22-24.

The club brought a delegation of 19 students across all grade levels, along with the club’s sponsors Ms. Pamela Bell and Mr. Scott Nestlebush. The club members were in Williamsburg for three days, over which they participated in debates, diplomacy and a variety of other related events hosted by the university.

For many of the students, it was their first time ever attending a conference. “It was a nice experience, especially since it was my first time,” said sophomore Brianna Gartrell, “It was nice to see how everything worked.”

The conference began with opening ceremonies by William and Mary’s International Relations club. Then, the high school delegates were off to their first committee sessions, where students got the chance to make first impressions on their fellow committee members and directors.

Students at the William and Mary MUN conference.

The next day was full of more committee sessions and a leadership seminar attended by the executive board members of Hylton’s MUN club. At the end of the day, a dance took place, giving students from all committees a chance to come together and have fun. Hylton students left the dance with laughter and smiles on their faces. “The dance was a nice way to end off the conference, I enjoyed getting to see multiple people that were in my committee outside of a professional setting,” said sophomore Tsion Sisay.

The last day of the conference was award day, and students sat eagerly as they awaited the announcement of the award-winners names. At the end of the day, Hylton came home without any awards, but what they lacked in accolades, they made up for in spirit.

“Since William and Mary is an especially competitive conference for both new and experienced delegates, it was a great opportunity to refine existing skills and create new ones,” said Victoria Miranda, Hylton MUN club President.

In January, Hytlon’s MUN will be heading to the annual Gar-Field Model United Nations Conference (GFMUNC). Last year, the club received multiple awards at the conference; delgates are hoping to do the same this year. If you are interested in participating in MUN or attending GARMUNC, see Mr. Nestlebush in room E-138.