Counselor Christy Genova Comes Home to Hylton

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mrs. Genova sitting with her daughter Adalynn at Belvedere Plantation.

Hylton’s newest addition to the counseling department, Mrs. Christy Genova, starts off every morning with a shower, a fresh cup of coffee, and a positive attitude.

Even though it’s Genova’s first year as a counselor at Hylton, she isn’t new to the building. She grew up in Woodbridge, and attended Hylton herself as a student. Throughout high school, Genova played the flute all four years.  She said that if she weren’t a counselor she’d be a band teacher.

Genova chose to work at Hylton because of its “positive vibes” and because of her warm memories there. She said it felt like home when she came in for the interview.

Genova has been a counselor for over ten years at different locations in Northern Virginia. She has worked at colleges including George Mason University, and Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA). She left counseling at a university because she wanted to make more of an impact in her students’ lives. 

“As a counselor at a high school I feel a lot closer to my students and that I have more of an impact in their lives.” Said Genova.

Outside of school, Genova loves to bake with her husband and daughter, who’s almost two years old. Around the holiday season, their favorite treat to bake is sugar cookies, which the family decorates with frosting afterwards.

Students can reach out to Mrs. Genova by making an appointment with her in the counseling department.