College Scholarship Opportunities

Want free money for college? You've come to the right place.

Back to Article
Back to Article

College Scholarship Opportunities

As college season begins, so does the scramble to find scholarships and grants to help pay for college. With the growing cost of tuition, college is a huge financial burden for many students and their families.  The Watchdog has created this resource to aid students in their search for financial support. We will update our scholarships list with new opportunities to help students find relevant, available scholarships.

Veterans of Foreign Wars, Voice of Democracy Essay Competition

Deadline: Oct. 31

The Voice of Democracy competition allows students in grades 9-12 to enter by writing and recording an audio essay. The theme of this year’s essay competition is “What Makes America Great.” The first place winner will receive 30,000 dollars and a full-paid trip to Washington D.C.

For more information, visit Veterans of Foreign Wars online.

Fleet Reserve Association Essay Contest

Deadline: Dec. 1

The Fleet Reserve Association (FRA) essay contest holds a yearly contest for grades 7-12, The FRA provides 18 national and regional scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 dollars. Students are required to submit a 350 word essay to their local FRA branch. The essay should address the patriotic topics from discussing the purpose and significance of Memorial Day or the American flag.

For more information, visit the FRA online.

George S. and Stella M. Knight Essay Contest

Deadline: Dec. 31

The George S. and Stella M. Knight Essay Contest provides three scholarships to high school students in all grades. Students who want to apply must write an essay between 800 and 1,200 words about an event or a person involved with the modeling of the Declaration of Independence. Students who win will receive between $1,000 and $5,000.

For more information, visit The Sons of American Revolution 

JFK Profile in Courage Essay Contest

Deadline: Jan. 4

This contest allows seniors who want post-secondary education to enter the contest by submitting a 700-1,000 word essay about any political leader who has shown courage for the public good. The first place winner receive $20,000, second place winner receives $1,000 and five finalists receive $500 each.

For more information, visit the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum online.

Optimist International Essay Contest

Deadline: Feb. 28

To enter the Optimist International Essay Contest, students must write an essay relating to theme of “Is Optimism the Key to Achieving the Dreams you iMagine?”.  The essay must be typed, double spaced and should be between 700 and 800 words. The winner will receive a 2,500 dollar college scholarship.

For more information, visit The Optimist International

American Society of Human Genetics Essay Contest

Deadline: Mar.4

Grades 9-12 can enter to The American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG) essay contest by writing an essay, at least 750 words, about gene therapy and how well it is at in treating a disease or medical condition.

For more information, visit the American Society of Human Genetics online.