Girls Varsity Soccer Scores First Win of the Season

Bulldogs crush Freedom 6-1

Trinity Marshall and Evodie Katanda

The Hylton girls varsity soccer team crushed Freedom High School with a score of 6-1 on Friday, March 22.

Sophomore goalkeeper Kaya Mensah attributed the team’s victory to its communication and improved attitude.  They are also happy with their new coach Nina Duron and the strong leadership she is providing.

Preparing for every game isn’t easy. The players are required to give 100 percent effort every time they walk on the field. The girls practice transitions and playing different positions. As a ritual, they gather to talk about their expectations going into the game.

The Freedom game started off strong from the beginning and the girls kept the pace going.  “We talked to each other; we played as a team,” said Mensah.

The game against Freedom was the team’s first win of the season. The team is currently 1-3.

Hylton tied against Manassas City’s Osbourn High School on March 15. Tensions started to rise when Osbourn began to pick things up, setting the score at 1-1. Mensah said the Bulldogs needed to stay more level-headed. Osbourn scored another goal, setting the score at 1-2. The Hylton players buckled down. They scored their final goal against Osbourn, tying the score at 2-2.

The Bulldogs have had a tough start to the season. They lost to Colgan High School, Forest Park and Patriot High School. In their first game on March 12, the girls suffered a crushing defeat against Patriot High School with a score of 7-0.

“At the end of the day, it’s not about the score. It’s about how we played as a team,” said senior midfielder Sarah Castillo. “I think we could’ve taken more shots and moved a bit faster”

Even after losing a game, the team continues to motivate and encourage each other.  They think about their challenges and strategies for future games. The team will take on Battlefield High School on Friday, March 29 before facing off against its biggest rival Woodbridge High School on Tuesday, April 2.  Come out to cheer on the Bulldogs.

About the Writer
Evodie Katanda, Staff Writer

Evodie Katanda is a senior at C.D. Hylton Senior High School. This is her first year in journalism and working on The Watchdog staff.  Evodie is passionate...