Hylton Swim Makes A Splash at Regionals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hylton Swim Makes A Splash at Regionals

Rahima Adnan, Staff Writer

Hylton’s swim team is stronger than ever with 18 swimmers qualifying for regionals. Schools from Eastern Prince William County and Fairfax County competed at the regional swim meet at Oak Marr Recreation Center.

Hylton senior Ian Yung and junior Jada Meade both qualified for finals in the 200 individual medley event, earning points for Hylton. For senior Ian Yung, the regional competition was the last swim meet of his high school career.

“It is a pretty tough meet, but it is also probably the most exciting meet of the season,” said Yung.

Hylton’s head swim coach and physical education teacher Brittany Walman said, she is “thrilled with everyone’s  performance and effort.”

Key swimmer junior Rafael Franco was sidelined this season due to a broken arm before the season started.

Even though the team was down a key swimmer this season, team member Davida Alumbaugh shared that the team was stronger overall this year, compared to last year, due to having many strong freshmen on the team.

All of the schools that placed in the top five for girls were in Fairfax County. Colgan High School ranked the highest among Prince William County Schools. Colgan placed sixth in the girls competition and fifth in the boys competition. Fairfax County again dominated the boys competition with four schools in the top five.

Overall, Hylton finished at 13th place for boys and 15th place for girls. No swimmers qualified for states.