Juuling: Is it Actually Dangerous?

Many students do not realize that Juuls contain nicotine, a highly addictive substance. The manufacturer uses fun flavors to disguise the dangerous drug inside.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Juuling: Is it Actually Dangerous?

Eliana Black, Business Manager and Staff Writer

Juuls, a version of e-cigarette that was created in July 2017, are plaguing high school and college students nationwide. Ingredients are not required to be announced by manufacturers, so many teens are oblivious to the dangers. The National Institute on Drug Abuse reported that 66 percent of teens think that the Juul cartridge contains just flavoring.

Juuling has spread nationally in such a short time. Through social media, advertisements and peers, teenagers are easily exposed to nicotine. What they don’t know is that nicotine is a highly addictive substance in juul cartridges. Disguised as fun flavors such as mint, mango, and even bubble gum, Juuls are destroying young adult’s health.

While cigarette use is declining in youth, Juuls and other e-cigs are on the rise. In 2018, 40 percent of the e-cigarette market is made up from Juuls according to a Healthline article. Dr. Jonathan Winickoff, a pediatrician at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and member of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Section on Tobacco Control told Healthline, “The younger the developing brain is exposed to nicotine, the stronger and more rapid the addiction. The earlier you become addicted, the harder it is to quit.”

According to Prince William County police officer John Obuabang, juuling at school hasn’t been a significant problem yet, but it’s a growing concern. “We’ve caught a handful of students juuling in the bathroom, but it’s happening more often outside of school hours.” According to Officer Obuabang, for the most part, students understand that juuling comes with consequences.

Some schools are taking drastic measures to prevent juuling at school. Broadneck High School in Annapolis, Maryland has already removed bathroom doors.

Many high schoolers don’t know how to recognize they have an addiction, and it gets worse. Common side effects are: dizziness, nausea, throat or mouth soreness, constipation, and headaches/migraines. Nicotine damages health, and puts the user at risk for lung cancer and other serious diseases. Juuls are easily hidden; from parents, from teachers, from friends. If you or someone you know has a nicotine addiction, reach out to a trusted person and get help. Addiction is a serious problem, and it needs to be treated. For more information on how to quit, visit the American Lung Association.