Beautiful Boy: The Truth About Drug Abuse?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Eliana Black, Staff Writer and Business Manager

The indie film Beautiful Boy was recently released nationwide. It’s an Amazon Studios movie that shows the harsh truth about the path of drug abuse.

Based on a true story, father David Sheff (Steve Carell), gives viewers insight about the strain drug abuse puts on a family. Son Nic Sheff (Timothée Chalamet) is addicted to alcohol and drugs, specifically methamphetamines.

In an interview with People  https://people.com/movies/timothee-chalamet-says-dont-do-drugs-isnt-the-direct-message-of-beautiful-boy/, Chalamet explained that the movie isn’t meant to be a public service announcement (PSA), rather it aims to show the full impact drugs can have on the whole family. “It’s supposed to portray David and Nic’s story as a firsthand warning of how addiction can ruin one’s life in the personal context, but perhaps more eye-opening, the movie shows how devastating it can be to everyone around the addict,” said Chalamet in the interview.

David and Nic Sheff both wrote books on their related experiences. Nic Sheff’s book is titled Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines and David’s is called Beautiful Boy.

Drug abuse is a topic that affects many high schoolers and people are not always fully educated on the aftermath. The most common drug in high school is marijuana, which often leads to using other drugs. Drug users don’t always fit the typical stereotype; they can be athletes and honor roll students.

Nic Sheff was an involved student with good grades; he was a student athlete, newspaper editor, actor, and artist. He had infinite potential until he started with alcohol and marijuana and things turned dark.

According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/facts-and-stats/national-and-state-data-sheets/adolescents-and-substance-abuse/united-states/index.html, 39 percent of high school students reported they have used marijuana at least once.

This movie not only shows the affect of drug abuse on the user, but the people around them. Beautiful Boy focuses on how everyone involved plays an important role in the recovery.

Beautiful Boy is an incredible, must-see movie with lots of emotion.

If you or a loved one is suffering from drug abuse, reach out to Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services by phone at 1-800-662-4357.