• December 7Band department hosting craft fair in the commons on Saturday, December 8th here at Hylton from 9-4 p.m.

Ms. Beatty Helps Students Float In and Out of the Water

Back to Article
Back to Article

Eliana Black, Staff Writer and Business Manager

Ms. Michaella Beatty, one of Hylton’s school counselors and a swim coach for the Hylton Swim and Dive Team, makes a huge impact in our school community. A graduate from Indiana University in Bloomington (Go Hoosiers!), Ms. Beatty earned her bachelor’s in psychology, with a minor in Spanish and studio art. In addition to that, she also has a master’s in counseling and an education specialist degree.

As the ESOL school counselor, it helps that Ms. Beatty has a lot of international experiences of her own. “I have traveled to 30 different countries, a lot of them are in Europe, but I’ve been to China, I’ve been to Mexico and Canada.” She speaks fluent Spanish and is also in the process of learning Hungarian.

School counseling is a job she holds close to her heart as she loves watching kids reach their full potential. Ms. Beatty enjoys being able to follow her students throughout their academic journey and high school careers.

You may know Ms. Beatty from “The Mental Health Minute” featured on the Bulldog School News https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ePwwLvPpVFn6uvo1ReboCkVp6qYrLhnC. Counseling gives her the opportunity to aid with mental health.  She is a big mental health advocate and believes that it is extremely important to be aware of this topic, which affects so many adolescents today. For freshmen coming into the Hylton family for the first time, her most important advice is, “Ask for help early, it’s really hard to dig yourself out of a hole you get into, like bad grades and things like that.”

Before serving as Hylton’s Swim and Dive Team coach, Ms. Beatty swam for four years competitively in high school and then with the swim club in college. Beatty said, “I think my favorite part about coaching echoes why I’m a counselor. I love to see students grow, and I like when my swimmers are dropping time, or they’re working really hard to perfect a stroke and then they finally get it.  Helping them break through and get to something that they’ve been looking to accomplish is really fun.”

Kids love to have her as a coach and a counselor. Ian Yung, a senior on the swim team said, “She’s a great coach, always keeping us on track and motivated. Our team wouldn’t be the same without her.”

Visit Ms. Beatty in the counseling office for assistance or to hear more about her cool life experiences.

About the Writer
Eliana Black, Staff Writer & Business Manager

This is junior Eliana Black's first year on the Watchdog staff. Eliana is both an athlete and student leader at Hylton.  She is a member of the Varsity...