• December 7Band department hosting craft fair in the commons on Saturday, December 8th here at Hylton from 9-4 p.m.

Weekend Hot Spot: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

Are you a cinephile? Do you want five dollar movie tickets? Then the Alamo Drafhouse Cinema is the place for you.

Gianna Jirak, Theater Critic

As we all know, movie theaters can be insanely overpriced. The tickets and mediocre food are all priced higher than their true value. Finally, the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema and its Victory Vanguard program have solved this age-old problem.

The Alamo Drafthouse Cinema opened in June at Stonebridge’s Potomac Town Center and is revolutionizing the way we see movies. The Alamo offers advanced screenings of movies from the comfort of reclining chairs and delivers restaurant quality food to audiences as they watch the movie.

The Victory Vanguard program is the cherry on top for Hylton students. It lets teenagers ages 15-17 buy five dollar tickets to any movie and visit without their parents! To sign up, visit the Vanguard page on the Alamo’s Drafthouse Cinema website at https://drafthouse.com/vanguard. The signup process includes entering some information and taking a short quiz.  Within the week, students will be official members and be able to see movies at a reduced cost.

The Alamo also hosts specialty movie screenings and parties. At these parties, movie fans can sing along and shout out their favorite quotes.  The Alamo even provides props.  Recent screening parties have included Mean Girls, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Beetlejuice.

The Alamo also offers advanced screenings and live Q&A’s. This past August, The Alamo hosted an advance black-tie screening of Crazy Rich Asians. CISL students might want to take advantage of the foreign films; this month The Alamo is showing Le Samouraï.

If those don’t sound like your cup of tea, swing by for an afternoon viewing of a classic movie and enjoy snacks and a cup of tea included with your ticket. The Alamo offers a wide variety of food options. Once you get settled into your seat, you can check out the menu and order. Sometimes the theater even offers movie themed foods. The upcoming showing of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald will feature sorcerer’s scones, beef and potato pie and canary cream lemon cookies.

All in all, the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is a great place for any type of movie lover and surely earns its title as Woodbridge’s “Weekend Hot Spot.”

About the Writer
Gianna Jirak, Theater Critic and Staff Writer

This is Gianna Jirak's first year working on the The Watchdog staff.  In addition to her Watchdog responsibilities, Gianna is the president of the Drama...