• December 7Band department hosting craft fair in the commons on Saturday, December 8th here at Hylton from 9-4 p.m.

Mr. Campagna Makes Education Work for All

Mr. Campagna found his calling supporting children with special needs.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kristine Makhatlishvili, Staff Writer

Mr. Joseph Campagna has been working at Hylton as a special education teacher for 12 years. Prior to that, he taught at Freedom High School in PWCS and Chantilly High School in Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). At one point, Mr. Campagna thought about becoming a firefighter, but he was told in an interview that he would have to stop coaching football and boys’ lacrosse. That was a deal breaker for Mr. Campagna so he decided to stick with teaching and made his move to Hylton.

He came to be a special education teacher by accident.  He began college as a business major, but the first math classes were very difficult.  His college adviser recommended he attend an event working with kids and adults with special needs at Ohio State University.  During his first session, he met a young girl with autism who made an immediate connection to him and no one else, not even her parents.  At that moment, he knew working with students with special needs was what he was meant to do.  Mr. Campagna graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a bachelor’s degree in physical education with a concentration in special education.  Later he earned his master’s degree in Special Education from the University of Phoenix.

Mr. Campagna is happy with his choice and still loves his job. Seeing the students apply what he teaches them and their accomplishments make his job rewarding. “I love coming in every morning and doing my adaptive PE class.  These kids can brighten your day.  You can be so down, but you come in and one of them gives you a big hug. It really just picks you up and feels amazing,” said Campagna.

Mr. Campagna has a connection to the students that you cannot see behind his large presence and smiles. Few people know that he also has several learning disorders, including dyslexia, auditory processing disorder and ADHD. He understands firsthand what the students are going through.  While his own experiences help him relate to the students, Mr. Campagna says they also present the biggest challenge to him in his job.

Hylton really is Mr. Campagna’s family in more ways than one. Mr. Campagna’s wife, Mrs. Betsy Campagna, is an administrator at the school, but is not his supervisor.  They try to avoid each other at work and not talk about it at home.  They each have their own schedule and responsibilities.  “It is a running joke that when people ask if we are related, we tell them, we don’t know the other person,” said Campagna.

Mr. Campagna is known for the Thanksgiving meal he cooks for Hylton’s staff and his own students.  He raises the funds, buys the food and his student assistants help cook the meals.

Hylton Bulldogs Twitter
Students serving staff at Mr. Campagna’s Thanksgiving feast.

About the Writer
Kristine Makhatlishvili, Staff Writer

This is sophomore Kristine Makhatlishvili's first year at Hylton and working on The Watchdog staff. Kristine is a visiting Future Leaders EXchange (FLEX)...