• December 7Band department hosting craft fair in the commons on Saturday, December 8th here at Hylton from 9-4 p.m.

A Campus Tour of Marymount University

Although students can pull up the stats online, campus visits provide prospective students with a sneak peek into the true feel and personality of campus life.

Laila Hooks, Staff Writer

As a high school junior, I’ve already started touring colleges. Growing up, I was always encouraged to explore colleges early.  I was warned that it is never too early to start, but it’s easy to wait too long and miss out on an opportunity. So on a recent October morning, I ventured out with my family to attend an open house at Marymount University in Arlington, VA.

My first impression of the campus was that it was too urban for my taste, but the overall environment felt calming. I generally prefer a more rural community with a small city nearby.  However, the farmer’s market did stand out to me. The weekly event made it feel like Marymount has a close knit community and a small town vibe.

During the beginning of the session, many current Marymount students, admission staff and professors were available to answer questions and provide information with prospective students.  I was glad I was able to talk to a professor in my desired major. I was curious to know how many majors and minors an average Marymount student can handle and what the qualifications are for becoming a psychiatrist. Since Marymount is a smaller sized school with only 2,300 students in attendance, more frequent interactions with faculty might be possible than at a larger university.

After the information session, we were divided into groups and a current Marymount student led us on a campus tour. My guide was very friendly and positive about the school and answered the group’s questions. We toured classrooms, dining halls, underclassmen dorms, laundry rooms and even upperclassmen apartment styled dorms. It was interesting to see the large difference between the spacious upperclassmen dorms and the tight quarters for freshmen.

While we were touring the many buildings and cafes Marymount has to offer, I couldn’t help but notice the many small ways Marymount shows love for its students. Outside one of the freshman dorms there was a box of planners available to the students for free to help keep them organized. Student events and activities, including bonfires and doughnut socials, were posted on bulletin boards. Even though it was already 12:30 in the afternoon, the dining hall was still serving breakfast for the late risers.

Hylton English and Journalism teacher Ms. Brittany Bauccio joined Marymount to earn her master’s degree in education. Bauccio said, “I immediately loved the sense of community at Marymount and their individualized approach.  My adviser, professors and peers went above and beyond to support me.”

Bauccio shared that when she unexpectedly found herself having to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA, her Marymount adviser helped her coordinate her student teaching in Pittsburgh and worked with the Marymount network to find her a student teaching supervisor in Pittsburgh.  “Marymount will always have a place in my heart; I don’t think I could have finished my program on time without their support and flexibility,” said Bauccio.

As I imagine the perfect place to spend four years of my young adult life, Marymount currently ranks fourth among my other choices which consists of Radford University, Bridgewater College, Virginia Commonwealth University, University of Mary Washington, and Sweet Briar College. I rank Marymount fourth because the price is a little higher than I expected for a smaller school and the area is more urban than I anticipated.

My advice to those getting near the college decision in their lives is to keep your options open. Tour as many colleges as you feel necessary and ask as many questions as you can think of. There are many resources and people who are available and willing to help you make this extremely important decision. 

Do your research.  Hylton students may explore Naviance, my college website of choice, for free.  Follow the link https://student.naviance.com/auth/fclookup.  You’ll need to type in Hylton’s zip code, your student id number and birthdate.

Don’t stay set on one option because there could be a place perfect for you that you neglected to give a chance.

Bauccio
Bauccio and her son Jayden (4 months old) during Bauccio’s student teaching days

Bauccio and her son Jayden (then 8 months old) following Marymount’s commencement ceremony.

About the Contributor
Laila Hooks, Staff Writer

Laila Hooks is a Junior at C.D. Hylton Senior High School and a first year staff writer for The Watchdog. She is eager to study journalism this year because...