Andrew Stanley: History Teacher Extraordinaire

In 1996, Andrew Stanley joined the Hylton staff. Now, he has a twenty-two-year legacy here.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Andrew Stanley in his classroom.

Andrew Stanley in his classroom.

Gianna Jirak

Andrew Stanley in his classroom.

Gianna Jirak

Gianna Jirak

Andrew Stanley in his classroom.

Gianna Jirak, Lifestyle and Fashion Editor

Twenty-two years ago, Andrew Stanley joined the Hylton staff, bringing along with him a love for history and a drive that lead him to win an incredible accolade, The Agnes Meyer Outstanding Teacher Award in 2007.

When Stanley started college as a freshman at William & Mary, he was an economics major and planned to go to law school after college. He soon found out that it wasn’t the right path for him. Disillusioned with economics, he decided to focus on history and the classics, the subjects he’d always been passionate about.

Born and raised in Prince William County, Stanley has spent most of his life here. He is an alumnus of Woodbridge Senior High School and accepted his first teaching job there.  Some of the WSHS teachers remembered him as a student, making it hard for him to be seen as a professional.  Looking to make a change, he transferred to Hylton where he continued to teach World History and was the yearbook teacher and adviser for four years; he stopped after his daughter was born.

Stanley loved working together with the students to produce the yearbook. He shared that it was a totally different experience from a traditional academic setting and enabled him to have a different relationship with the students.

Stanley’s colleagues and students have many positive things to say about his content knowledge and teaching style.

AP Euro and AP U.S. History teacher Mr. Peter Bedford said, “He (Stanley) teaches in a classic style that everyone can learn from.”

Stanley’s main objective in teaching is to illustrate connections by showing students that history makes us who we are today.  He loves being able to share his passion with his students. Stanley said his favorite part of teaching is “that teachable moment when you can tell you’ve made a kid understand something, or when a kid tells you that you made a difference in their life.”

AP Human Geography and World History teacher Ms. Amy Liles said, “He’s dynamic and enthusiastic about his subject and teaching.”

Stanley’s students are among his biggest fans.

Freshman Elizabeth Kemp said, “He makes history fun and actually taught me something.”

Sophomore Avalon Hosford said, “Mr. Stanley is a very entertaining and historically enthusiastic teacher.”

Stanley supports his students in and out of the classroom. He participated in the French exchange trip multiple times and hosted students.  He also use to support Model United Nations (MUN).

Mrs. Betsy Campagna said, “Mr. Stanley is one of the biggest supporters of the CISL program.”

Stanley is a beloved and valuable part of the staff. Social Studies teacher Lisa Racine said, “Any place he’s needed, Stanley will fill in. He’s a great teacher, very smart and a good contributor.”

Outside of school, Stanley plays guitar and enjoys photography. He’s married and has two children.