Spring Sports Signing Day

Four Varsity Girls' Soccer players and one Varsity Baseball player received college scholarships and committed to their respective schools of choice.

Christian Gardner, Sports Editor

Five of Hylton’s student athletes signed their letters of intent to continue their academic and athletic careers in college. Girls’ Soccer players Emily Truman, Jasmine Bryant, Jordyn Davis and Kierra Mcgee, along with Baseball player Daniel Hupart were all surrounded by friends and family as they took their next step.

Girls’ Soccer Coach Tiffani Washington spoke about how proud she was of seeing all these girls grow over the last four years together and how close they stayed together as a team.

Emily Truman echoed her coach in stating how the team stayed together and could always overcome the struggles. “We win through them together,” said Truman.

Mcgee said, “if you keep a positive mindset, you can get through anything.” When asked about their favorite memory playing for Hylton, individually, Truman, Bryant, Davis, and Mcgee all said that it was the time they have spent with their friends, playing on the team. “Even though we lose sometimes it’s still fun to play with them,” said Davis.

Truman will be playing for Chowan University next fall. She is excited to “break records” and Truman’s drive will certainly push her to do that.

Jasmine Bryant has committed to Elon University, where she is ready to make a change in their soccer community and “just win.” Bryant wants people of the Hylton community to “keep their head up, play hard, play strong, play smart, and have fun.”

Jordyn Davis will be attending the University of Mount Olive. She is eager to “play somewhere new and play at the next level.” She will represent Hylton and the state of Virginia well in North Carolina.

Kierra Mcgee’s next chapter will be taking place at Stevenson University. “I’m excited to play at the next level. To be able to play college soccer is great,” said Mcgee. “I want to thank Hylton for believing in me and supporting me through everything.”

Baseball Coach Mike Matta used to coach Hupert when he was 12 years old.  Coach Matta shared how Hupart saved the game when the team was recently in a tie late in the game, 2-2  against Forest Park.

“Runners in scoring position (players on second and third base). He (Hupart) was holding the runner on at first. Pitch went to the plate. Comes off the bag. He gets straight parallel with the ground, runs, dives, tags the guy out at first. Ends the inning.”

In the following inning the Bulldogs went on to win the game 3 – 2. “That’s just big guys stepping up in big moments,” said Coach Matta. “The senior leadership he’s shown this year, you know he’s had his up and downs. More downs than ups but you’d never know it if you were just a fan.” That is just a testament to how Hupart carries himself on and off the field. “He’s come a very long way and I’m very pleased to see him take the next step in his future aspirations,” said Matta.

Hupart will be attending Eastern Mennonite University in the fall. His fondest memory was hitting his first home run last year. He said he’s excited for this next step and being the best player he can be.  You can follow Hupart and the Eastern Mennonite University baseball team here on Twitter.

These seniors certainly have great careers to be proud of, and as Truman said, “once a Bulldog, always a Bulldog.”

About the Writer
Christian Gardner, Sports Editor
Christian Gardner will be attending Seton Hall University in the fall studying Sports Media with a concentration in broadcast. He is looking forward to working at Seton Hall Television. He plans to pursue a career in sports journalism and hopes to one day host his own show on ESPN. He enjoyed his time at Hylton...