A Balanced Life is a Happy Life

It is possible to manage it all

Erin McCoy

Being a high school student is stressful within itself. With the ever so daunting concept of higher education, good grades and a social life looming over your head at all times, it can be difficult to balance everything and you may find yourself drowning. Now add in extracurriculars, sports,and a job! It seems like an impossible task, but many students who roam the Hylton halls find a way to make it work. Here are some tips on being a stress-free, well-rounded student.

Senior Savannah Winstead at school and at her job at DSW.

Senior Savannah Winstead at school and her job at DSW.

First of all, in order to manage your busy schedule you’ll need to purchase a planner. A little organization goes a long way when your days are filled to the brim with endless assignment deadlines, practices and work schedules to remember. It is so easy to forget one thing that can leave you stressed and immediately behind. Mark all tasks down the second you hear about them and check them off the moment you complete them. There is nothing better than the relief that comes from knowing you finished everything on your list.

Learn to compartmentalize. If you’re constantly thinking about everything you need to do, you’re never going to be able to focus on the task at hand. Take one class at a time and give it your full energy instead of worrying about the assignments you will be doing later on tonight. This goes for sports too. Throughout my years at Hylton, I’ve participated in Field Hockey and Lacrosse, and many days I found myself worrying too much about my school assignments and less about putting my best foot forward during the small part of my day set aside for practice. The minute you start channeling your energy into a positive place is the minute your life changes for the better, and you’ll see yourself performing far better.

The most tricky part may be balancing an out of school job. If you play sports and are heavily involved in school sponsored extracurriculars, you won’t have much time for a weekday job, unless you’d like to work late hours and miss out on essential sleep. It can be done, but it’ll involve sacrifices on things that may be critical to your success. Even with work, school should always come first. As a student athlete also involved in clubs and activities, I have opted to work solely on weekends, keeping me occupied and making extra money without sacrificing my weekdays that I dedicate to school. Everybody can handle different schedules and different jobs have different demands. If you’re looking for a school year position, be sure to find a place that is flexible and considerate of students.

Lastly, don’t forget about yourself. It is so easy to become wrapped up in a cyclical schedule that doesn’t allow for any “me time.” Even if you’re up late with assignments, after a long game or shift, at least take ten minutes before you go to sleep to indulge in something you enjoy. This is the perfect time to de-stress as you read a book, watch a video, or do anything else you find relaxing. Always aim for a reasonable amount of sleep, (even though we all know that’s an almost impossible task) so you can take on another busy day.

By adding these small adjustments to your life, you’ll be able to balance your busy schedule and get through each day with ease.

About the Writer
Erin McCoy, Technology Editor & Business Coordinator

Erin McCoy had an amazing time during her last year as a Bulldog. She will forever cherish the memories made in these halls and is especially grateful for the impact The Watchdog has left on her. She is so proud of how far the staff has come and will always reflect on the work they produced together. Outside of the newspaper, McCoy was an active member in an array of clubs and sports including field hockey and lacrosse. She will be attending Virginia Commonwealth University in the fall to major in biology on a pre-med track, minoring in international studies. She hopes to one day help those in less developed countries. She is excited to see what the future has in store for everyone.