Heart and SOL

Nnaemeka Obidinma, Design Editor

As the school year winds down, standardized testing season begins once again. Kicked off with the Writing SOL back in March, the testing gauntlet will soon be in full swing, with the Earth Science SOLs on the 24th of April. Not only that, but the AP exams also begin on the 7th of May, opening with the Chemistry and Spanish exams. This can be a stressful time for students, as the tests are crucial to their careers as students and future success. However, with a little effort, one can do their absolute best to ace the tests.

Get enough sleep: It should come as no surprise that the less sleep one gets, the worse they perform in daily activities. Because the brain is not rested, it can be prone to falling for silly mistakes and making mistakes in discernment. Sleep helps you remember more as well. Even if you felt like you didn’t study enough, getting the required amount of sleep, 8 hours, will give you a better chance compared to if you didn’t get enough sleep.

Get a good breakfast: Eating well before can give your brain that extra boost to get through the exam. Fruits, like apples, oranges, and bananas, work just fine. Protein, like eggs, are also good options to increase brain power. Try to stay away from foods with too much sugar.

Don’t cram: Cramming last-minute might seem like a good idea under a time crunch, because everything would seem fresh and renewed in one’s mind. However, in reality, it doesn’t help and is counterproductive. Instead of helping you remember the information you need, it makes you more susceptible to forgetting it. What you should do instead is study a little each day before the exam. That way, the information will be firmly cemented in your mind, and other facts can build upon the older ones.

Manage your time: AP tests are timed, so time management is crucial to doing well on them. Don’t spend too much time on one question. Instead, pace yourself. It’s easier to manage the entire test as you go through the ones you know and come back to the more difficult ones at the end. 

Eliminate incorrect answers: There will always be answers which are clearly wrong on any test. When you come across these, be sure to eliminate these to narrow down your options.

Go with your gut: If all else fails, be sure to go with what you truly believe to be the correct answer. Don’t panic!

Standardized testing season can be quite a rush and can lead to stress and panic at times. However, if you keep a cool head and think things through logically, everything will be alright. Don’t forget to bring extra pens, pencils, and erasers on test day! Do your best, Bulldogs!

Click here to see the full Hylton testing schedule.

Click here to see the full AP testing schedule.

Click here for SOL review resources.

About the Writer
Nnaemeka Obidinma, Webmaster

Nnaemeka Obidinma has had a fantastic time at C.D. Hylton Senior High School. He will be attending James Madison University in the fall to study computer science. He plans to get an internship at a company like Google, Apple, or Samsung. He wishes to start his own business to help innovate and move the technology industry forward. As he grows older, he will always cherish the memories he made here, because once a bulldog, always a bulldog.