Hylton and Osbourn Park Host Exchange Students from China

Karle Traoré and Sylvia Chan

Earlier this year, the Hylton community welcomed seven exchange students from Hohhot’s No 1 High School. The exchange students arrived in America (some for the first time) on the afternoon of Jan. 17 and stayed for fifteen days.

The decision to host students from China came after Hylton Principal Mr. David Cassady, along with Osbourn Park Principal Mr. Neil Beech, traveled to Inner Mongolia, China to see Hohhot’s No 1 high school in action.

Principal Cassady said, I found that the students in China are just like our students. They act like teenagers, just like Hylton students do. Different culture, different language, but same kids.”

While in the United States, the exchange students had the opportunity to attend classes with their host students to see how classes are in America, as well as go sightseeing in our nation’s capital. After leaving Woodbridge, they toured around Los Angeles.

Sophomore Dong Mingqi said he wanted to improve on his English speaking skills and see famous landmarks like Death Valley.

CISL has being running an exchange program since the early 90s. Hylton typically hosts students from Spain, Germany, Italy and France in the fall. In return, host students have the option to stay with their exchange student in their home country during spring break.

Assistant Principal and CISL Coordinator Mrs. Betsy Campagna emphasized that Hylton does exchanges to “see how other people live, and draw parallels and similarities” while on these trips.

Seven Hylton students and eight Osbourn Park students were chosen to host the exchange students. In order to host a student, Hylton students had to fill out an application about their home environment, schedule, and expectations. Selected host students were then matched with an exchange student. Exchange students may stay with host students from as little as one week to as long as a a full school year.

PWCS works with an outside company Laurel International to establish relationships and exchange programs with schools outside of the United States.

Click here to be taken to the CISL Program page.

About the Writers
Karle Traoré, Staff Writer

Karle Traoré was a first year member on The Watchdog staff. She enjoyed stepping out of her comfort zone by writing sports articles. Karle was  also a member of the Academic Team and the CISL program. She enjoys reading books written by Rick Riordan and traveling all over the world. After high school, Karle will be attending Hampton University in the fall to major in international studies and minor in the Spanish language. She plans on doing a semester abroad.

Sylvia Chan, News & Copy Editor

Sylvia was on the The Watchdog staff for three years and served as the News & Copy Editor for two of them. She was also captain of Hylton’s Academic Team and the Service & Projects Director for National Honor Society. Outside of school, Sylvia enjoys tweeting, drinking grande vanilla iced coffees with soy milk, and reading. She enjoyed writing her Chinese New Year opinions piece the most during her time in the program. Sylvia’s excited for what’s to come in the future, and will attend James Madison University in the fall.