The Dakota Pipeline Needs to Pipe Down

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Dakota Pipeline Needs to Pipe Down

Karle Traoré, Staff Writer

The Dakota Pipeline developers should be ashamed of themselves. Building on sacred land promised to the Native Americans by the government is very disrespectful and shows that these people do not care about who they hurt.

The Dakota Pipeline is an underground pipeline system, made to assist in transporting oil across the country. It is part of the Bakken System, which begins in North Dakota and runs to Patoka, Illinois. Its developers Dakota Access LLC and Phillips 66 state that the pipeline will bring more jobs to the area and be a safer way to transport oil compared to rail or truck according to the Dakota Access Pipeline website landowners.daplpipelinefacts.com.

The ironic part of all of this is that the Standing Rock Sioux reservation was not the original site for the pipeline. According to a permit filed by Dakota Access LLC, it was supposed to go through Bismarck, North Dakota. The location was changed because the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers felt that it was too close to one of the city’s water supply wells, and could pose a threat. If it was considered a threat in Bismarck, why was that same precaution not taken when it was rerouted towards the Standing Rock Sioux land?  People live and drink there too.

The biggest concern was what would happen if an oil spill occured. In a unfortunate turn of events, that is exactly what happened. On Nov. 16, there was a leak found. It did not spill onto the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, but what if it had? If the pipeline posed a danger at any point, to anyone, they should have found an alternative

The Dakota Pipeline is also an environmental issue. When the Nov 16 leak happened, most of the gas was released underground. Some of it was above ground. This would contaminate any underground water sources, and the vegetation above. It would interfere with the wildlife in the surrounding areas.

This pipeline is a scam that only brings conveniences to the people who invested in it. With so many negative factors, the only positive thing that could come from this is the pipeline being shutdown.

About the Writer
Karle Traoré, Staff Writer

Karle Traoré was a first year member on The Watchdog staff. She enjoyed stepping out of her comfort zone by writing sports articles. Karle was  also...