PWCS Muslim Student Associations Come Together To Prepare For Regional Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sajjad Alvee

Sajjad Alvee

Sajjad Alvee

Sumayyah Farooq, Staff Writer

On Feb 2, Osbourn Park Muslim Student Association (MSA) held a jeopardy night at the local mosque, Dar Al-Noor. Many Prince William County Schools attended to compete. Around this time each year, most MSAs are preparing to compete in a regional Muslim Interscholastic Tournament known as MIST.

At MIST, students participate in several competitions such as writing and art to create a piece that correlates to the current year’s theme. This year’s theme is The Valor of Mercy: Summoning the Strength of Compassion.

At the jeopardy night, five different schools attended: Garfield, Hylton, Osbourn Park, Patriot and Woodbridge. Yasmeen Zargarpur, one of the founders of Osbourn Park MSA, organized the event. She said she wanted to bring together all the PWCS MSAs prior to MIST so they could get to know each other and have a good time.

When asked about her favorite part of the event, Hylton junior Bisma Baig said, “ I had a great time meeting other competitors and it was a great bonding experience with my own teammates.”

This year at least 15 people from Hylton are attending MIST in April. They are participating in categories from spoken word to 2D art and even improv.