The World Can’t Grow for Free

When companies support working moms, everyone benefits

Ally Temple, Editor-in-Chief

As an industrialized country preaching equality for all, the United States excessively lacks this value with women in the workplace, specifically after they have a child.

According to the Pew Research Center, the U.S. is the only industrialized country among 41 others that does not require a paid leave for new parents. While the U.S. passed the Family Medical Leave Act in 1993, which covers women maternity leave, it is unpaid and has many exceptions that don’t protect women and their jobs. For example, if a woman has worked somewhere for one month and unexpectedly becomes pregnant, they may not receive a maternity leave at all, other than a few saved up sick days, and in fact may even lose their job completely.

In 40 percent of all American families with children, the woman is the breadwinner, bringing in the sole earnings according to the Pew Research Center.  The world has changed. Women are just as common in the workplace as men, yet they are punished for having a child. A man has no risk of losing his job or not being paid for a few weeks when becoming a parent, so why should women be treated any different?

Other industrialized nations have set paid maternity leave as a top priority, even having some of the tax dollars going into the money given to women during their leave. In fact, Estonia offers 87 weeks of paid maternity leave (Pew Research Center). This grants mothers more than a year to spend time with their infant, instead of putting them in to a daycare and only seeing them a few hours out of the day.

Additionally, many families cannot afford to have little to no income for a few weeks. Once back at work, they are faced with high prices for daycare. CNN recently reported that the average cost for full time daycare in the United States for one child alone is around $10,000 a year. The audacity the nation has to leave new mothers struggling to make ends meet as they bring new life into the nation is unacceptable. If times can change to support women in the workplace, then they can change to make it an equal and fair environment for them too.

About the Writer
Ally Temple, Former Editor-in-Chief
Ally Temple served as The Watchdog’s Editor-in-Chief for two years. She had incredible experiences with amazing people at C.D. Hylton Senior High School. Her three years with The Watchdog were meaningful and she will never forget them. Temple will be attending Pennsylvania State University working towards a biology major with a concentration in genetics and...