Hylton Football Player Ricky Slade Scores 14-Yard Touchdown in All-American Game & Signs with Penn State

Slade was recently named Gatorade Virginia Football Player of the Year and is ranked as the 18th high school player nationally on ESPN’s top 300.

InsideNoVa

InsideNoVa

Ricky Slade, the star running back for the Bulldogs, recently played in the Under Armour All-American game on Jan. 4. The Under Armour All-American game is an exhibition match of the highest high school recruits around the country. This year was the tenth anniversary of the Under Armour All-American game, and the game has seen the birth of many NFL greats including 2x All-Pro Julio Jones and 7x Pro Bowler A.J. Green. The Under Armour All-American game is the first step to a great career.

Slade did not disappoint in his first chance in the spotlight. Following an early fumble, Slade scored a 14-yard touchdown in the third quarter. Although Slade’s team didn’t win, he sure did impress. 

This is not the first accolade Slade has received. Slade is a 5-star recruit, #1 high school player in Virginia, second ranked running back in the nation, 18th ranked player nationally on ESPN’s top 300, and was recently named Gatorade Virginia Football Player of the Year.

On top of Slade’s exciting game, on Dec. 20, Slade signed with Penn State. Slade had a long list of schools to choose from; 32 schools offered him scholarships. When speaking to Slade, he mentioned that what stood out to him about Penn state were “the coaches and the family feel of the town, and also the academics.” He says he is excited to have a college experience, but is nervous about living on his own.

Hylton hosted a ceremony to celebrate Slade’s official signing. The Hylton Varsity Football coaches shared how hard Slade has worked throughout his high school football career. Head Coach Tony Lilly told USA Today, “He certainly brings an ability at the position he plays that I’ve never seen before.”  Slade acknowledged and thanked those who have helped him get to where he is, especially his parents.