The A-Team

Back to Article
Back to Article

The A-Team

Nnaemeka Obidinma, Webmaster

Disappointment and exasperation was embedded in the general mood of the Academic Team, after their incredibly close but crushing loss against Woodbridge High School last weekend, 110-130. The team fought valiantly against the Vikings, leading by 40 points in the first round. However, the Vikings pulled back, tying the game in the second round and narrowly sniping a victory in the third.

While the team is not very happy about this loss, there is some optimism. Charles Nelson, senior and veteran member, was ecstatic. “Woodbridge is a very good team, and we’ve never been able to beat them in years. This match’s purpose was to see if we could keep up with their pace, and it looks like we’ll be able to do so.” The team has gone through some ups and downs during Charlie’s time at Hylton. “We haven’t been to states since I was a freshman, so that was three years ago. I think if we push ourselves a bit more, we can get there, especially with an opening performance like that.”

The academic team is a Scholastic Bowl competitor, who answer trivia questions in a setting not too far off from the game show It’s Academic. It can also be described as a team-based Jeopardy!. Teams of four face off against each other in three rounds, competing to get the most points. The first and last rounds consist of 15 “tossup” questions, in which anyone can ring in and answer. The second round is a collaboration round, in which teams answer 20 questions directed to them collectively. They can also “steal” points from the other team, if they were to answer them incorrectly.

Although the team has had some rough spots in the past, this year’s lineup consists of highly competitive and intelligent people, all striving for glory and greatness. “Our team has a lot of potential and I believe that we’re going to win a lot of matches this year,” said Chloe Koulefianou. She, along with three others, kept the team to the 90-50 lead at the end of the first round. “As long as we can keep up that kind of fire for the following rounds, there’s no doubt we’ll make it to states,” said Koulefianou.

The next two matches for the team are against Potomac and Garfield. With a bit of effort, the academic team will no doubt be able to take on both of these adversaries in stride.

About the Writer
Nnaemeka Obidinma, Webmaster

Nnaemeka Obidinma has had a fantastic time at C.D. Hylton Senior High School. He will be attending James Madison University in the fall to study computer...