Seniors Defeat Faculty 11-7 at Homecoming Kickball Game

Chloe Koulefianou, Features Editor

The class of 2018 beat members of C.D. Hylton High School’s faculty at the third annual Seniors vs Faculty Kickball Game on Friday, Oct. 13 with a score of 11-7. Although turnout was low this year, the enthusiasm for the relatively new tradition was still high.

Karle Traore, one of the seniors participating in the kickball game expressed her satisfaction for the outcome of the game and her pride in the senior class.

Some speculation has recently been circulating about the close nature of the kickball game. In the past, the seniors have been at times 10 or more points ahead of the teachers, whereas this game, the seniors were only ahead by 4 points at the end of the game.

“I think if you win, you win. It’s not about how many points. It can be one point. If it’s 11-10 we still won, so as long as we were up there and we didn’t take the L, we were good,” said Traore in response to the derision.

There was also some contempt towards the playing style of the faculty members.

“Some of them were slow,” Traore remarks. “They were trying to get everybody out, but we pulled through in the end so it didn’t really matter.”

Mr. Scott Nestlebush teaches history here at Hylton but traded his dress shoes for a pair of sneakers to play pitcher at Friday’s game. His tactic was to roll the ball as slow as possible in order to reduce the amount of air and distance the kicker gets from his pitch. He shared faculty members were just there to have fun.

“We didn’t have a strategy. There was none… Everyone played a position they wanted to play. Everyone went up and just kicked [the ball],” said Nestlebush.

While Traore claims faculty members like Mr. Tony Switzer, Mr. Robert Kavinsky, and Mrs. Betsy Campagna were the backbone of the opposing team, Nestlebush disagreed, saying that everyone played an equal role in the outcome of the game.

“We’re a team so there were no individuals. We went as a team, we lose as a team. Honestly, I think everyone contributed in some way,” said Nestlebush.

Although the results of the third annual kickball game were predictable, both teams walked away content.

Nestlebush said, “I know we didn’t win but everyone had a good time, and it was a close game, and everyone walked away feeling pretty good about what they did,” Nestlebush.