CISL Takes Participants Around the Globe

Conference honors all cultures

Betsy Campagna

Betsy Campagna

Sumayyah Farooq and Lauren Williamson

On April 7 Hylton’s Center for International Studies and Languages (CISL) hosted its annual CISL Conference. The event promotes cultural exploration and challenges participants to discuss how to resolve international conflicts.

The conference started off with keynote speaker Adam Seitz, Senior Research Associate and Instructor for Middle East Studies at the Marine Corps University. Seitz discussed his own experiences in international studies and gave the audience advice on building a future career in international studies. He explained how the skills are relevant to many careers.

After the talk, attendees dispersed to attend sessions of their choice. This year the CISL Conference had many new offerings, from dramatic and dances performances to informational sessions.  Henna, Pysanky and Belly Dancing were among the most popular sessions.

Henna presenter Bisma Baig said that it was her second year attending the CISL conference.  She said she loves being able to share a piece of South Asian culture with the Hylton community.

One of the sessions featured a play, “The 12 Angry Pigs,” produced by Hylton’s drama club. Junior Chloe Koulefianou said, “being in the drama club has been such a rewarding experience and I am so proud of all the cast for working so hard and putting on such an amazing performance.”

The production, a spoof of “12 Angry Men,” focused on discrimination and racism in the justice system. After the performance, audience members discussed the play’s relevance to real life issues.

Davida Ofosu Mensah, Adwoa Asiedu, Daniella Saforo and Bridget Antwiwaa provided instruction for traditional West African dances in a separate session. Each dance had its own style and flow which made them all special. The presentation featured a surprise “Black Panther Challenge Dance” at the end.

Senior and dance instructor Adowa Asideu said, “Whether we were presenters or audience members, we were all learning. That was the most fun part: knowing that we could have fun with one another and be comfortable to learn.”

“In spite of the crazy weather forecast prediction, many people attended and everyone was really engaged in all the sessions,” said Assistant Principal and CISL Coordinator Betsy Campagna. She said the annual conference is a great opportunity for students to learn new things and earn CISL points