The Great Roommate Debate

As seniors get into the colleges they applied to, they begin to decide what’s best for them for the next four years. Once a choice is made, and the deposit is paid, what is next

Ally Temple, Editor-in-Chief

While seniors are choosing the school that makes them the most comfortable, they still have to ensure they will feel comfortable in their own dorm room. This brings up a topic of how to go about who to room with in college, and there are several options on how to go about it. The three main options are typically as follows: find a roommate on a facebook group, room with someone you already know, or be paired with a random roommate by the school.

For nearly every four year university, there are Facebook pages made by students in the same position, and everyone is eager to meet new people and find a roommate. This option can be great because people typically post bios and pictures of themselves, and it gives you the ability to talk to several people and find who suits you best. Often times, if people you meet live close in proximity, you are able to hang out with them in person before heading to school.

College brings so many new experiences and people, so rooming with someone you already know or are friends with can be exactly what you may need to have normality to come back to at the end of the day. Additionally, it ensures you already get along with the person, and know plenty about them before living together.

To some people, a random roommate can be terrifying, with horror stories looming on social media about people’s bad experiences. However, others may trust in the fate of a random roommate, in hopes they’ll become a new lifelong friend. If you are planning to go with a random roommate, see if your school has some sort if survey you can fill out to try and match you with a good fit; some schools offer this, but others do not.

No matter the option you go with, remember that your roommate experience doesn’t have to dictate your college experience. Go with what you are comfortable with when it comes to choosing which path to go down in the roommate debate, and don’t feel pressured by what other people are doing in the process. Lastly, no matter which option you go with, the main advice for any roommate is to set boundaries. What time will their alarm go off? Can they bring other people into your room? What type of environment do you need to study? These questions are endless, but they are necessary to address in order for both you and your roommate to live in comfort.