Dual Opportunities

Ally Temple, Editor-in-Chief

Next year seniors will be able to earn six college credits from Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC) from the convenience of their Hylton English classroom. English Dual Enrollment is a course that counts for both a high school graduation requirement as well as college credit from NVCC. It is available for students in their senior year. Currently, students at Hylton are able to enroll in English Dual Enrollment through NVCC to get ahead, but they have to attend the class on NVCC’s campus and pay for the course on their own.

In the 2018-2019 school year, Hylton will be offering English Dual Enrollment in the building. English teacher Mr. Chris Brown is qualified to serve as the professor for English Dual Enrollment. Students will be able to take this course during their regular school day at Hylton free of charge, including both enrollment and textbooks.  Additionally, students who pass the course will earn three college credits each semester.

Junior Sara Nagpal said, “It interests me that I’ll get the credit for sure,” as opposed to an Advanced Placement class where the potential college credit can’t be guaranteed by passing the class.  

This opportunity is an excellent “introduction to college,” said Mr. Brown. “The class will give an overview of the types of writing assignments students may see in college. Overall, students will be able to feel more prepared as they enter into their fall semester of college, while having six credits already under their belt.”

Hylton Counseling Director Mrs. Christina Langley said, the opportunity “to earn college credit for free is an incredible asset.” Mrs. Langley shared that she hopes bringing this course to Hylton will ignite several other classes of dual enrollment to follow.

For more information on English Dual Enrollment, speak with your counselor or Mr. Brown.