Equal Pay For Women

Lauren Williamson, Staff Writer

The fight for equal pay for women has been a long, ongoing battle for years. Women everywhere still yearn for their equal place in the workforce. It is known that women are shortchanged and paid less than their male co-workers for the same work. So why are there various unfair situations that make the nation’s, “everyone is treated equal and fair” values seem ironic?

The pay gap for women in the workforce has many holes. The assumptions that women get paid less for personal choices or have less education, isn’t the primary reason why the pay gap exists. According to the Huffington Post, in the past it was legal to pay women less for the same job. However, The Equal Pay Act of 1963, was supposed to end wage disparity between genders, but it hasn’t fully fulfilled its purpose. According to the USA Today, women are still paid just 80 cents for every dollar a man earns for the same work. It’s degrading that women who worked hard for their job after high school or college, are still not earning the same pay as their male colleagues.

Oftentimes in workplaces employers aren’t permitted to disclose or talk about pay wages. This policy is unfair to women who want to see what people in the same position are making. If all workplaces had to share what they pay for each position and level, women would have the knowledge and ability to demand the equal pay they deserve.

Women have had many setbacks on the path to achieving pay equity. Equal Pay Day in April aims to increase awareness of the disparity between men and women’s wages. The effort allows women to see how many extra days they need to work to make what men did in the previous year. 

Women who work just as hard as men should have the same equal recognition in the workforce. Equal pay for women represents the qualities and achievements they work for in the economy. Though the fight is ongoing, one can hope that the reckoning on achieving equal pay for women will come sooner rather than later.