Is Healthcare a Right or a Privilege?

For sick people without health insurance they have two choices: go into debt trying to pay for their treatment or suffer negative health consequences- even death

Protestors hold signs at a rally  in Burlington, Vt., Tuesday, March 17, 2009. Advocates of a single-payer health care system rallyed outside a Burlington building where a White House-organized forum is scheduled. About 125 people waving signs and chanting have gathered outside the Davis Center of the University of Vermont campus to promote their cause.(AP Photo/Toby Talbot)

AP

Protestors hold signs at a rally in Burlington, Vt., Tuesday, March 17, 2009. Advocates of a single-payer health care system rallyed outside a Burlington building where a White House-organized forum is scheduled. About 125 people waving signs and chanting have gathered outside the Davis Center of the University of Vermont campus to promote their cause.(AP Photo/Toby Talbot)

Sumayyah Farooq, Staff Writer

Americans have been avoiding the real question of healthcare. Does everyone deserve health care or just those who can afford it?

Healthcare is a basic human right. In 2009, the American Journal of Public Health found that 45,000 yearly deaths are associated with lack of health insurance. Many of the illnesses that these people die from are preventable. For sick people without health insurance they have two choices: go into debt trying to pay for their treatment or suffer negative health consequences- even death. As a minor, you might be on your parents insurance right now but in the future you could be living without insurance.

America is paying too much money for its healthcare and many of its people still aren’t covered. In 2015, Americans spent a combined $2.1 trillion on healthcare according to the American Journal of Public Health. Many other countries pay way less than America and provide everyone with healthcare. Canada pays around the same amount of money and everyone is insured.

America will end up paying more and being responsible for the death of thousands until they switch to a universal healthcare system. Healthcare isn’t a want; it is a need. Adopting universal healthcare in America will give, protect and guarantee this basic right for all.

The U.S. is taking away the basic right of healthcare. If other countries can pay the same amount as us and provide everyone with healthcare, so can we. This should not be a debate. It’s a matter of life or death.