Hylton and Forest Park Rivalry Renewed

Christian Gardner, Sports Editor

Every year, two teams clash at the end of the regular football season. Both teams are fighting for playoff seeding, but most importantly for dominance of Spriggs Road. This is not just any ordinary rivalry. Hylton and Forest Park reside on opposite ends of Spriggs Road. Many Bulldogs had to choose to attend Hylton or Forest Park, and many have been betrayed by friends becoming Bruins instead. This rivalry will be renewed on Nov. 3, and Spriggs is up for grabs once again.

Hylton has owned this rivalry for the past decade and a half. Hylton has beaten Forest Park every year for over 13 years (Maxprepps). The Bulldogs never fear a Bruin. Last year Hylton routed the Bruins on their way to a 34 – 17 win. They look to duplicate the winning tradition on Friday. The Bulldogs currently sit at a 7 – 3 record hoping to end the regular season with a win before going into the playoffs.

“I see it being a blowout.””

— Jordan Rojas

When asked about the importance of this game, Senior Defensive Lineman Jordan Rojas said, “We have to keep the pressure going and let them know that they have to defend.  I’m gonna go hard each play taking it down by down.  I’m pretty sure they’re gonna break.  They can’t keep up with us,” said Rojas. Senior Wide Receiver Ra’Quan Johnson was asked if he thinks the Battle of Spriggs is much of a rivalry, given that the Bulldogs have dominated for so long. Johnson said, “For Hylton, we should just look at it as another game.” Both Rojas and Johnson are very confident of the Bulldogs taking home the win on Friday. “I see it being a blowout.,” said Rojas. “I give it 65 – 0,” added Johnson.

“We’ll give you guys a show.””

— Ra’Quan Johnson

The Battle of Spriggs happens to be Senior Night for the football team. This will be the final regular season game for 24 players.  During their four years at Hylton, they have won 31 games and look to add number 32 on Friday. Rojas and Johnson made it clear how they wanted Hylton fans to come out to the Battle of Spriggs. Johnson said, “Please come out and support us. We appreciate the support you guys have given us all year. We just need one more.” Johnson concluded the interview by saying, “We’ll give you guys a show.” Be sure to come out and support your Bulldogs in the Battle of Spriggs.